Cruising the Pacific

A few days ago I got back from a cruise.  It was awesome.  Now, I am going to have to keep this blog brief because while I was cruising I neglected to do uni work, and it has piled up to the point that I may need to grab hold of a life ring… but the cruise was so great I just have to write something and show some photos.  I might put up a little taste for now and put up more installments as I get the chance.

So basically, Barry took Mum, David, Grandma, Grandpa, Mark and I on a 9 day cruise to Noumea (New Caledonia), Mystery Island (Vanuatu), Lifou (New Caledonia) and Isle of Pines (New Caledonia).  We went with P&O on the Pacific Pearl.  We sailed (can you say sailed if you used a motor?) out of Sydney at 8pm and got to be impressed by our native city at night.

We went under the Harbour Bridge
And past the lovely Opera House
All with the help of a strong little tugboat pushing us out of Sydney

The next morning we woke up far out at sea.  I looked out the window and realised were surrounded by water, with no land in sight.  The ocean is so huge and impressive.  Despite our location somewhere in the Pacific Ocean, the Easter bunny managed to find us on Easter Sunday to add chocolate to our already extravagant breakfast.

Easter Sunday

The food on the cruise was amazing, and there was plenty of it.  The dining options were basically between the Waterfront sit-down restaurant or the Plantation buffet.  I was impressed that they had lots of vegetarian options at both restaurants.  At the Waterfront there were usually at least three vegetarian options for main meals and lots of entrées (yes that’s right, entrée, main and dessert every time… there was a lot of food).  The second night on the cruise had a cocktail dress code and so we all got to look a bit snazzy.

Cocktail evening

On the third day we arrived in our first port of Noumea, New Caledonia.  Unfortunately, it was raining when we arrived.  We were booked on a shore tour called ‘Sail the Bays of Noumea’.  It didn’t matter too much that it was raining, because we had a French skipper named Pe Pe, and German – French – English tour guide and a bunch of smiling tourists on our side.

Captain Laura
Sailing in Noumea
cup of tea
The ladies

We sailed to our destination and jumped in the water to snorkel.  The snorkelling was pretty good – there is a whole world under the surface of the ocean.

red fish
Under the sea

As much fun as I was having, I kept feeling little stings all over my body.  When I got out, I saw that most people had them and we decided they were sea-lice.  It was also that day that I learned I am allergic to sea-lice! I got stings on my lip and ear, not to mention all over my arms, stomach and legs.  The bites lasted for well (it’s been 6 days and they’re still not totally gone).  So even though I was itchy the trip was awesome.

Captain Grandpa

Did I mention that Pe Pe offered Grandpa the wheel at the beginning of the trip and he sailed the whole way! He did a great job too.  We also got the opportunity to chill out up the front.

Chilling on the catamaran

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s